Lürzerhof in Salzburg
The Lürzerhof is a small chateaux in the district Lehen of Salzburg. It is also known under the names of Egglgut, O′Donell Schloss, O′Donellhof or Schloss Lehen. Originally, the site of today′s Lürzerhof was occupied by a farmhouse that can be tracked back to 1566. In the early 17th century, the property was developed into a manor that changed owners rather frequently. In 1670, Johann von Fletting, the administrator of the Festung Hohensalzburg bought it. He had several frescos painted in the Lürzerhof, which are still preserved.
Five years later, Georg Ehrenreich Stockhammer bought the building and commissioned two more paintings. In 1725, the scrap metal dealer Christian Kajetan Gschwendtner bought it. After 1764, the merchant Matthias Lürzer became the owner and had the building adapted slightly. Since then, the building is named (mainly) after him. After the Napoleonic Wars, the Lürzerhof became an inn with several landlords.
This continued until 1860, when Maximilian Karl Lamoral O′Donnell, Count of Tyrconnel, purchased the Lürzerhof as a gift for his wife Clotilde Gräfin Hardegg, who used it as a summer residence. O′Donnell was an imperial officer who saved the Emperor′s life at a famous attempt to assassinate him in 1853. The Countess of Hardegg sold the property in 1886; a few years later, it became an educational facility for blind, deaf and deaf-mute children. The facility was extended in 1908.
During the Nazi period, the Lürzerhof was used by the Hitler Youth and after the war by the US troops. Since 1949, the state of Salzburg is the owner of the Lürzerhof again. It is still used as a school and care facility for deaf children. Between 1979 and 1983, a renovation campaign removed several of the alterations that were added especially in the 19th century.
The Lürzerhof has three floors, the core of the building dates back to the 17th century. It has a characteristic tower from that period. The chapel dates back to the mid-18th century. The baroque altar contains paintings from the 20th century. Note that O'Donnell also built the Villa Kast at the Mirabellgarden.
German Wikipedia on the Lürzerhof
Josef Rehrl Schule inside of the Lürzerhof