Itzling is a district of the city of Salzburg. It can be found in the northern part of the city, on the right side of the River Salzach (even though by some measure, parts of the left shore belong to Itzling as well). It is characterised by a commercial, if not industrial touch due to the rails of the central station (Hauptbahnhof); and by large residential zones. For a long time, the traditional working class district had a dubious reputation. Things have improved for Itzling more recently after a polytechnic university and IT campus was established here, and the very north particularly has never been all that bad.
However, it is still a relatively cheap part of Salzburg and far from being exclusive. Tourists are unlikely to make it to Itzling, unless they stay at a hotel or inn in this part of Salzburg. Alternatively, you might also want to cross Itzling to get to the Basilica Maria Plain, the large church of pilgrimage north of Salzburg. Itzling has a total population of approximately 9.000 people.
The history of Itzling can be tracked back until the Bronze Age if wanted, but it didn′t really take off until will into the 17th century. Similar to the neighbouring district Schallmoos, Prince Archbishop Paris Lodron initiated the construction of drainages in what used to be a virtually unpopulated swamp. He used the workforce of soldiers who were not needed due to a lack of warfare in heavily fortified Salzburg.
From 1625 to 1644, the soldiers drained the land, which gradually fell dry - thereby providing arable land to large agricultural projects. Manors and small palaces for countryside nobility were built (see for example the story of the Robinighof in Schallmoos). The roads that were built around the same time remained rather insignificant until well into the late 17th century, when they became an important link between the city and Maria Plain.
Itzling itself, however, remained a tiny village pretty much throughout much of the 19th century. Things were to change only after 1860, the year in which the Westbahn railway was constructed and passed the district. Three local railways followed: The Giselabahn (1875), the Ischlerbahn (1891) and the Oberndorfer Bahn (1896).
This period saw the rapid growth that led to the face of Itzling as we can see it today: The village had 400 residents around 1870, but 4000 around 1910. It grew popular with the workers employed with the railways or transport and logistics. In Itzling parish church was consecrated in 1903, a historicist piece of Viennese ugliness, rivalled only by the Andräkirche. Insensitive planning led to Itzling becoming one of the most densely populated districts of Salzburg.
Especially the southern parts of Itzling near the station were hit very badly in the course of World War Two. The tremendous destruction led to cheap reconstructions after the war, which contributed to the social decline of the area. Only in the past 20 to 30 years, things are improving again. Itzling is generally associated with large, often industrial companies, the Techno-Z (an IT campus with parts of Salzburg University of Applied Sciences), and a couple of schools.
Itzling on the German Wikipedia
City of Salzburg, Official Website